Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy 2007!

So one year is over, another has begun. Last year was a good year; a lot got accomplished, much of which is completely life-changing. 2007 will be just as significant, I predict, but with different things going. Since I was so verbose about my goals last year, I'm going to continue the trend. However, I still need to recap my goals, to see how everything turned out. Hence, this post:

1. Get Married: Successful
2. Move to a new place: Successful
3. Get a different job: I got the new job I was looking for, then lost it, then got another new job, then lost that. I think next year I need to be a bit more specific. So I'll call this one unsuccessful.
4. Get back in the gym, and establish a regular routine: I started, and was doing pretty well with it, until my back gave out, and I completely dropped it. In retrospect, dropping it was a bad decision. We really haven't done anything since. Unsuccessful.
5. Get at least one Voice-over gig: I was really diligent to get things going, but didn't actually get a gig this year. Unsuccessful.
6. Brew at least three batches of beer: Successful.
7. Travel at least four times: Successful. I actually did five, but there's nothing wrong with exceeding your goals.
8. Write a script: Unsuccessful.
9. Read the Bible from beginning to end: Unsuccessful.

And now, the analysis:
I succeeded in 4 out of 9 goals. Not a bad average for batting, but I'm not much of a fan of baseball. Of the four successful, each of them relied entirely on me or me & Heidi (one all me, three both of us). Of the five unsuccessful, three were all me, and two were resulting from actions outside of my sphere of influence. The three that were all me could have been done had I been less lazy, but I was lazy. Of the other two, I worked my can off for those, and still wasn't successful. So, here's the track record:
Me & Heidi: 3/3
Me: 1/4
Me & some external influence: 0/2

This brings interesting things to light. If I involve Heidi in my goals, they're going to get done much better than if I just do them on my own; two is better than one. Relying on something external is perfect material to get me hosed; this is bad, because a lot of my life does revolve around other people than my wife playing along. So the trick is to figure out how to get those externals working better.

I haven't yet figured out my goals for this year... I'll post them when I have them in order.

No comments: