Monday, March 13, 2006

Being Healthy: the Beginning

So the caffeine thing? one of the best decisions I've ever made for my general well-being. Don't get me wrong: it sucked massively those first 4-5 days, but now I have more energy, it's sustained through the day (yesterday was a little sleepy, but I hadn't gotten enough sleep, due to not feeling very tired at night previously), and when I do sleep, I sleep better. Now, I can't blame caffeine entirely, as my source of caffeine up till now has been Diet Coke, and that thing is all chemicals that are foreign to your body. But I have noticed my reaction to this stuff had changed roundabouts my 35th birthday, and I was constantly tired, with caffeine only giving me a temporary boost. I've also noticed recently that my road rage has decreased, but we've also been having fabulously beautiful weather here in Chicagoland the past few days, so I can't necessarily attribute it all to evicting Mr. Addiction Monkey. What it boils down to, is that losing caffeine was a great choice for me, probably the best I've ever made for my general well-being, but I'm not going to evangelize the caffeine thing to everyone, as different people probably react differently.

Also, today was my first day on the new diet/workout regimen. Heidi took my "before" pictures yesterday (and let me say, that seeing a full-body shot of me in workout shorts, not trying to impress myself in the mirror, elicits a pretty hefty "ewwww"). I must say that I had a lot of apprehension going to the gym this time around. Perhaps my last few gym experiences weren't so good, and this one did end up being only OK, but the point is that I'm there, and will continue to be there. I might look at another gym, but this one's proximity is a big bonus.

No comments: