Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Good News

No, I'm not talking about the Gospel. I'm talking about something wonderful that happened to me much more recently: I got laid off.

Now, if I left it at that, it wouldn't be quite so good, as weddings are really expensive, and the honeymoon looks to be just as bad. But I was not satisfied with my job, and was jockeying for another position. In fact, I was applying to another job when they called me.
Manager: "We need to reduce the workforce, and we had to make a decision, and since your lotus notes certificate just expired, we decided instead of renewing it, we'll just let you go."
Me: "OK. What's the address and phone number I can use... y'know, so I can apply for other work?"

But what makes this story great is that I got to work immediately after I got off the phone with my manager and the contractor recruity-person. The primary reason I had to jockey for that other position was not that they didn't need it right now, but that I was needed so badly in my previous position (or so I and most everybody else thought). With that obstacle out of the way, my jockeying could get much farther. An hour after I got off the phone being laid off, the contractor recruity-person called back offering me the position that I had been trying to get for the past five months.

So now, I'm no longer in front of the client, which not only reduces my stress by about 75% (if not more) but also includes the benefit of a flexible schedule. I still work from home, and I still make the same wage. However, with a flexible schedule, I now have the ability to pursue voice acting with much greater freedom. I have yet to actually schedule the first coaching session, simply because the coach-folk haven't yet gotten back to me, but I can get things going and get started on my new career pretty damn soon, maintaining a regular day-job so I have a fulltime income. Life is good.

2 comments:

Mattox Beckman said...

Wow! Congratulations on getting laid off! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yay getting fired!