Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Sound Advice

I think I've found me a good thing. When I originally looked through PerformInk for ads for voice coaching, I came across three options. The "big, monstro structured class" option, the "just do the damn demo" option, and the "individual coaching and do the demo when you're ready" option. After discussing this with Heidi, we decided on option number three: a place called Sound Advice. What I found there was something more than I had bargained for. They do voice coaching and demo, but they also are somewhat of a one-stop shop for marketing strategies and limited career management for the burgeoning voice-over artist, which is freakin' exactly what I need. It makes this much less of a crapshoot than acting generally is. I'm also feeling very good right now, because I just had my first workshop with other actors last night, some of which are working actors. It's good to hear Heidi tell me how great my voice is, as she knows sound. It's good to hear Kate (the owner) tell me how good my voice is, as she knows the industry. But these are people that have vested interests in me, being, respectively, someone who will eventually have to live with me for her whole life, and someone who's assessment will yield a sizeable chunk of money. When people who have no vested interest in me whatsoever tell me that I'm really good, or I can tell that I'm better than some of the working male talent in the room, this is a good thing. I don't want to compete with anybody, but it's good to know, so that I can get a running start.

No comments: