Monday, July 03, 2006

Watervale

This weekend, Heidi and I went up to a resort in northwestern Michigan that was owned by old college friends of my grandparents. This resort, called Watervale, has been around since 1917, and really hasn't changed a whole lot since then. It's not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's charming and has a lot of family history there. I've been going there a few times a decade for my entire life, as have my mom and uncle. This weekend, we went up there to hang out with the entire extended family, and Heidi got to meet those she hasn't already met (and they got to meet her). It was quite successful.

One of the nice things about Watervale is how incredibly relaxing the place is. I left, stressed about work (or lack thereof), and didn't think about it for more than a few minutes over the weekend (By the way, this morning I found out my gig was extended for a week, so I still have work this week). The place is a short walk to Lake Michigan, but is on a much smaller lake (Lower Herring Lake) which has an outlet to Lake Michigan. Much of our time not hanging out with family and lounging around involved rowing across the small lake to the outlet and keeping a casual eye on the family kids.

This place is part of the family history, and will continue to be so, as Heidi found it just as charming and relaxing as I have, even without her having the extended history behind it.

FYI, this is our third trip, if you're linking here from a goal update. Our second can be found here, where you can see a link to #1.

No comments: