Thursday, March 30, 2006
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Monday, March 27, 2006
Monday, March 20, 2006
Friday, March 17, 2006
- It's insultingly stupid
- It's visually impressive
- It moves along at a quick pace
- It's well-cast
- It has interesting supporting characters (that frequently get killed off quickly), and tedious main characters that you never fear for
- It's about a global situation, and focuses exclusively on how New York, LA, and Washington DC handle them (Optional)
Anything other than LA and New York are considered "flyover states" by much of Hollywood. But seriously, having a movie about snow, and not including Chicago? Minneapolis? Please. This movie was more insulting than most Emmerich films, in that every scene I found myself wondering some variation of "Why would he do that?" This would make sense if it was Earl goes to the Ice Age, but each of these characters are supposed to be brilliant. Now, I didn't expect this to be a very good movie. In fact, when the billboards were out, and their tag was "Where will you be THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW?" My internal response was "Probably not in the theatre." But I still wanted to see what a cock-up it actually was, and oh, for that, it was a masterpiece.
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Monday, March 13, 2006
Also, today was my first day on the new diet/workout regimen. Heidi took my "before" pictures yesterday (and let me say, that seeing a full-body shot of me in workout shorts, not trying to impress myself in the mirror, elicits a pretty hefty "ewwww"). I must say that I had a lot of apprehension going to the gym this time around. Perhaps my last few gym experiences weren't so good, and this one did end up being only OK, but the point is that I'm there, and will continue to be there. I might look at another gym, but this one's proximity is a big bonus.
Friday, March 10, 2006
Thursday, March 02, 2006
1. Get Married: Heidi posted a good summary here. It hasn't changed much.
2. Move to a new place: We'll likely either move to Heidi's current place in Arlington Heights or a place she looked at in Palatine.
3. Get a different job: Done
4. Get back in the gym, and establish a regular routine: I've scouted out the gym I'm likely to use, and I'm going to start the Body for Life Challenge either next week or the week after.
5. Get at least one Voice-over gig: Making Progress.
6. Brew at least three batches of beer: Purchased brewing equipment from morebeer.com, still need to get some decent shelving for the kitchen and an extract kit. And yes, I have figured two ways to work this in with the Body for Life Challenge without cheating on the program.
7. Travel at least four times: 1 down, 3 to go.
8. Write a script: I've got some ideas percolating, but nothing solid.
9. Read the Bible from beginning to end: Plugging along.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
Update: The star is actually magnitude 11.6, near Deneb, in the constellation of Cygnus. being 11.6, it's invisible to the naked eye. But it's permanent. Much like our luuuuuv.