Friday, September 08, 2006

Honeymoon Update 2: Driving in Italy

I don't have a great deal of time, and punctuation is difficult on an Italian keyboard, so I'll just discuss a facet of my time here: driving. I'll start with a brief summation: aw hell, it's fun!

Italy has much narrower roads, and Italians tend to drive quickly over windy mountain roads. I haven't had such an exciting experience driving since I left California, and even that has a tough battle to match this. Again, everywhere you look is a postcard, and it makes for an incredibly cool experience. In a lot of places, you can keep the car in neutral and just coast down the mountain roads (this is actually how we get to our place, most of the time). Street signs don't mention any road numbers or directions, just that you go this way, you get to this town. It makes it crazy easy to navigate, if you know what is on the way, and you really never have to look at a map unless you've made a mistake. Driving in a city is a crazy trip, because you have all those experiences, plus trying desperately to avoid other cars and the innumerable scooters around the way.

For this reason, cars tend to be in good shape. It's pretty rare to see a beater car, as you need great brakes and a smooth clutch in order to get anywhere safely. We rented a little Fiat Punto, which has both in spades.

More to come...

3 comments:

How do you know I'm not Liddy Wales? said...

I have to apologize for being the most unforgiveable bonehead ever. Tonight, as I was driving home, for no reason at all you popped into my head... "Hhmm... that wedding's coming up pretty soon... oh my god, it was last weekend!" I have absolutely no excuse for my absence- I just counted on my addled little brain to remember the date, didn't write it on the calendar, and ended up as an absentee. I'm so sorry! I hope everything went wonderfully, and that you're enjoying what you've experienced so far of married life!!!

John said...

No worries. We missed you, but it's cool.

How do you know I'm not Liddy Wales? said...

No, no, you're supposed to swear at me and tell me how evil I am.

Also, Chris E. showed me a picture of a... chicken head? You people party freak style!