Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Honeymoon Update 3: Roman Holiday

We've just gotten to Rome, which is exciting but has been a bit of a chore. I'm getting moderately good with my Italian (I can now order breakfast and pay for it without speaking a word of English). Unfortunately, my camera battery has been dying since we left our place in Tuscany, so I've only gotten a few pictures of Cinque Terre (which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, but really had to be seen to be believed... I'll write more elsewhere when we get home). Today I'm hoping to find a camera store that can help me charge my battery, but we may not have much of an option beyond a disposable camera. In any case, by the beginning of next week, flickr will have a lot of pictures of Tuscany, hopefully we'll get a sizeable amount of Rome, but we'll see what happens. At least we'll have a whole heap of loot to remember the trip by.

2 comments:

David Larsen, fine artist said...

What I remember about Rome in comparison to Florence is that being in Florence was like being part of history no matter where you went. The narrow meandering streets surrounded by old buildings gave it that kind of feel.

Rome, on the other hand, feels like a modern city, filled with subways, glass store fronts, crazy traffic, and wide streets, but with these amazing pockets of history tucked away in various corners.

John said...

Yeah, that's kind of my impression as well. I could do without Rome, but I intend to return to Florence. Maybe on that trip we'll hit Venice as well.