Thursday, August 04, 2005

Darth Tater

Just when I thought there was nothing that could get me out of my funk yesterday, Heidi gets me a Darth Vader Mr. Potatohead. Oh, don't get me wrong, I was still kinda pissy, and still a little defeated, but this shocked me out of the worst of the funk. Damn, that girl knows how to take care of me!

So, I'm better now. Darth Tater started the healing (I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you find healing in the strangest places), and then Heidi proceeded to pile praise on me in a way that I was not looking for, and definitely not expecting (when you feel utterly defeated, having your girlfriend there to tell you how wrong you are is a good thing).

But I still feel betrayed and pissed off at the death in the latest Harry Potter book (I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it, and those who have will know what I'm talking about). Admittedly, that was the author's goal, so good job Ms. Rowling! Still, dammit! I keep wondering what the actors who play those parts in the movies thought when they read it. Not so much Daniel Radcliffe, because he really won't change his characterization any (here's a hint that won't surprise you, Harry was there, but he wasn't the one who died), but these other guys who have some experience... damn!

So in all, I'm better, feeling more productive, like a member of society again, and I've started reading my homebrewing book.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which brewing books?

John said...

Right now I'm just looking at Hombebrewing for Dummies, as that tends to have good information for the rank amateur (read: me). I bought a whole mess of others from Amazon.com, but I'll start with the info that this one gives me, and build up my repetoire.

Anonymous said...

One of the first things you might do as a new homebrewer is hook up with a local brew shop, if you have one. They are good at answering questions and providing beginner support. In fact, here, our brew shop offers free classes to beginning brewers.

Depending upon where you live there may also be a brew club. That is also a good way to meet fellow brewers. Our club often has group brew days where we all get together and brew on the same day. Brewing with someone else is a great way to learn.

Mattox Beckman said...

I'll be brewing another batch of beer this week. When will you have time to come over for it? I have things going on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evening this week, but the rest are open.

Regarding Potter... I just got mine the other day from the UPS store and finished it today. Yeah, that was quite the offing. Have you ever seen Babylon 5? The author did that sort of thing, too... every now and then a major character would wind up dying a horrible death, often without warning or foreshadowing. That's actually one of the things that hooked me on the show.

Anonymous said...

Well I just wandered over to the tarantula page, and it seems that I've stumbled upon a whole community of blogging homebrewers (Heidi, John, and Mattox). That is pretty stinking cool.