Sunday, March 18, 2007

A change in goals

I've been thinking about my goals this year (a good thing to always keep them in mind), and I think I need to change one: Instead of enabling one of us to quit our day job, I'll change that to getting us out of debt. It doesn't mean we can't go back into debt (neither of our cars are very reliable these days, so we'll likely be buying before the year is out), but as long as there is a day during this year in which we have no debt, we're cool.

Here's my thinking:
1). Both Heidi and I have pretty good day jobs. The original concern was that Heidi's job was unsatisfying, but she has a new one which appears to be really good. Even if we could, she's not likely to leave this one for a couple years. Mine is a good gig now, but I have the potential for a better one in the relatively near future. Good plan to keep a steady income coming in.
2). Even if I make a heap of cash this year, my SAG benefits wouldn't kick in until next year (assuming I get into SAG and make enough to receive benefits). We need to keep ourselves healthy.
3). It's a lot more financially feasible. Even if I make a heap of cash, we're saving up for a house, and we'd really like to move to Evanston. Houses aren't cheap there. It's even worse in El Segundo, if that's where we land.
4). Debt sucks.

1 comment:

lugerpitt said...

Good for you. Thing about goals, like plans, they work a lot better if you remember the reason you have them is more important then the list you made.

Coming in town in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll see you then.