Thursday, June 30, 2005

The boring name

I just Googled myself. "John Fisher" brings up over 10 million entries in Google, the first several having to do with the Catholic Saint (yes, there is a Saint John Fisher). Supposedly, this St. John Fisher has a lot of schools named after him. We were born 500 years apart. There's a John Fisher, born 169 years before me who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. There's a Sir John Fisher, born 108 years before me, in the Royal Navy. He produced the HMS Dreadnought. There's a John Fisher who's an award-winning sound designer in a theatre in Massachussetts. There's a John Fisher who's an artist, one who's an animal behaviorist, one who's a lecturer at DePaul, one who was a producer for some BBC comedies in the '80s and '90s. There's even a John W. Fisher who's a doctor at MIT.

This is not some gripe at how little I've accomplished (although it does get me thinking along those lines), but couldn't my parents have named me something a little better? For cryin' out loud! That's a lot of John Fishers!

Now, this has it's merits. I can go to various places and see statues of myself, a stained glass window of myself, shoot, there's even a street named after me in London (Russ's Shagadelic Diner is near there, as is "The Model Shop," which is among the best model shops in Europe).

No comments: