Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Vocal Support

So my first V.O. coaching session is on Thursday. I'm looking forward to it. Not as excited as I hoped I'd be, but I'm looking forward to it. But here's the thing. I'm not used to having a lot of emotional/moral support when it comes to my various creative endeavors. My family is not particularly creative, and I've heard implied and actually stated variations on me wasting my time/dreaming/being a failure whenever I attempted anything creative. When I was out in LA, in between freelance jobs, my mom actually told me straight out, "I think you've failed," in a rather twisted attempt to get me back under her thumb.

However, I've kept the voiceover transition quiet to most of my biological family (my sister knows, but she's also the most supportive person in my original family). However, Heidi has been a Godsend in this. She's not just supportive, but actually encouraging. I think a big part of it is that we both tried and failed in a large creative attempt (she with her band, and me with my production company), and have recovered from that, and have both learned that dreaming creatively and big isn't so painful anymore. But we have also learned caution and learned that we need to not dream in such a way that we deny reality. This is part of what makes this gig so great. I can realistically establish voice work, while continuing to work 40 hours a week on this "day" job, and be quite content doing both. And, with Heidi behind me all the way, if I get discouraged from one or the other, she'll be there to give me a swift kick when I need it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dood, you have a perfect Announcer Guy voice.