Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The 40 Year Old Virgin

I just rented The 40 Year Old Virgin and watched it last night. Now I feel like a jerk for not seeing it in the theatres. I had heard that it was some stupid sex movie, on the same order of Porky's or American Pie, and I really don't see the value in that type of film (if you do, cool, but it's not me). Boy, was I mistaken! This film was freakin' hilarious, and told a great story. Most of my readers have probably already seen it, but if you haven't, this comes with one of my highest recommendations. I've also been recently TiVo-ing The Office, and I'm quite impressed with Steve Carell. I previously thought of him as just "the guy on the Daily Show," but he's an impressive comic talent. Admittedly, he's been cast in some very well-written shows (although it seems like The Office is mostly improvised), but his performance is always top-notch. Way to go, Steve.

Note: I also watched the British version of The Office, and like them both about the same. They're different, but similar shows, both created by the genius Ricky Gervais. I somewhat like the main performances better in the British version (Ricky Gervais plays the part that Steve Carell does here), but the supporting performances in the American one are much stronger.

No comments: