Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The blog tag post

So Jane "blog-tagged" me. Evidently the process of a blog tag is to put down 5 random facts about you that nobody knows. Well, I'm pretty open, so there's not really anything that nobody knows about me, so I'll give you stuff that I just don't mention to a lot of people.

1. I'm epileptic. I've only had a few seizures in my life, so it's not enough to be a major inconvenience, but it has kept me out of the armed forces, and I can't get a pilot's license (at least not in the United States). The biggest effect it has on me is really expensive seizure medication that I should take daily, and a few impressive-looking scars.

2. In college, I was in a play in which I had to grow my hair and beard out much longer than I'm comfortable with. After the play was over, I wanted to shave my head completely bald, but a friend of mine talked me out of it, because "she had to be seen with me" (which was weird, because we never hung out in the two months it would have taken to grow back to normal).

3. I'm a bit of a cheese snob. I have paid $18 for a 1/2 pound of cheese before. It really wasn't worth it, but I have to fight to remember that lesson when I'm in a store that has fancy cheeses.

4. I secretly harbor a regret that I didn't major in Astronomy in college. I've always felt that that would have been an interesting life, studying the stars professionally, going to Hawaii or Colorado to look into the biggest telescopes on the planet. Admittedly, if I had gone into Astronomy, I'd probably harbor a regret that I didn't major in acting and film.

5. I'm unusually flatulent.

There ya have it. John in a bloody great nutshell.

6 comments:

heidi said...

I think most people are more flatulent than they really let on. :) You're probably not that unusual. If anything, it may come down to timing and how often people get to witness these, uh, episodes.

David Larsen, fine artist said...

I think that part of the blog tagging experience is that you now have to blog tag somebody else.

John said...

Yeah, I consider that a bit of an invasion of privacy (I was cool with it, but I'm not comfortable tagging someone else). So consider it half done. A blo ta, if you will.

Anonymous said...

Were you actually going to join the armed forces? I wasn't going to, but the minute I found out I couldn't... boy was I pissed!

John said...

Several years ago, when work was hard to come by, I was looking into various options for the Air Force. It took a while for me to actually get a direct answer out of the recruiters, as they wouldn't return calls or emails if I mentioned the seizures.

David Larsen, fine artist said...

I used to work for the USGS' branch of Astrogeology, when I was in college. While there I worked with very big names in the field of planetary science.

I worked with one such person who was approaching retirement. I had heard that while he was young he had played Jazz with some of the most famous Jazz musicians in the world, during the 40s and 50s.

He gave that all up to go into planetary science. There, over the years, he became one of the most respected names in the field.

When I met him, I was trying to organize some of the closet musicians at the USGS to play on the weekends. I always invited him because of his Jazz past. He never accepted, though.

One day, he stopped me in the halls, turned to me soberly and said that that was his one regret, giving up his music.

A few weeks later, he died of cancer. We never even knew he was sick.