Saturday, April 22, 2006

I now have shelves full of VHS tapes

OK, so it's not quite that bad. The whole HD DVD vs. Blu Ray debate hasn't ever really started yet, and both will still be able to play standard definition DVD's, so I'm not dead in the water. I'd like to someday get a Hi Definition DVD player of some kind, but I think I'm going to wait for them to duke it out. I'd like to work through my DVD collection and replace them with higher definition versons, but I'm going to wait until I figure out which is going to establish market dominance. I was in high school when we got a Beta VCR, and that was a bit of a mistake (although the picture was lovely on Beta, and that's why it remained the professional standard for years afterwards). Here's the deal, in a nutshell: Blu-Ray holds more data, but it's more expensive and it's thinner (therefore might break easier). More companies are on board with Blu Ray, but as any good capitalist knows, it's the consumers who decide. HD DVD's are just coming out now; I haven't heard of a Blu Ray release yet. The two formats are not compatible. Certain filmmakers will likely release their classic films on the least desirable format and attempt to use their industry muscle to keep that format alive for as long as possible. So, let's sit back and watch the fireworks.

No comments: