Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Reorientation

This has been a crappy week. It's been getting progressively hotter, despite my hopes that we'd be done with the heat, I had something like $1000 in medical bills come in all at once (primarily because Blue Cross Blue Shield doesn't acknowledge that being in so much pain you can't walk is a viable reason to go to the emergency room), and the promotion I was hoping for got canceled, which is going to put a bit of a crimp in my planned transition to voice-over work. Yet this post over at Wil Wheaton's blog helped put things in perspective for me. Yes, the week has been filled with lots of bad news, but the weekend was spectacular, with beautiful weather, and a couple days filled with heaps of extra-special funstuff with Heidi. In particular, on Sunday we went out on a spontaneous road trip and did things that I've wanted to do for years (things as simple as getting one of those 1.5 L mugs from 7-11 filled with Coke and going on a trip, or going on the Jelly Belly factory tour, or actually stopping and walking around Lake Geneva's business district), but never got around to. It's not so much the trip that was fun (although it was), but the fact that Heidi got such a kick out of doing something that was a hobby for me when I was in California. This bodes well for our future. Anyway, I also have a busload of good friends, make a comfortable (if sometimes precarious) living, and am heavily involved with the best church I've ever attended, where the leadership there are very open and loving (a remarkably rare trait, from my previous experience). I'm in a position in my social life where I'm allowed and even encouraged to be as geeky as I feel comfortable being. So there's a bunch of crappy things going on. They aren't life. Life is ongoing, and the naughty things are temporary pitfalls. The ongoing part? That's pretty good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may not believe this, but I'm jealous! Lately, all I can say is "I'm mostly healthy, and in slightly less debt than before."