Friday, March 17, 2006

The Day After Tomorrow

So as I'm under the weather, I take this as a great opportunity to watch some movies that I wouldn't otherwise get a chance to see. I recently got The Day After Tomorrow from Netflix, and yep, it has Roland Emmerich written all over it. Here's Roland's List of Film Qualities:
  1. It's insultingly stupid
  2. It's visually impressive
  3. It moves along at a quick pace
  4. It's well-cast
  5. It has interesting supporting characters (that frequently get killed off quickly), and tedious main characters that you never fear for
  6. It's about a global situation, and focuses exclusively on how New York, LA, and Washington DC handle them (Optional)

Anything other than LA and New York are considered "flyover states" by much of Hollywood. But seriously, having a movie about snow, and not including Chicago? Minneapolis? Please. This movie was more insulting than most Emmerich films, in that every scene I found myself wondering some variation of "Why would he do that?" This would make sense if it was Earl goes to the Ice Age, but each of these characters are supposed to be brilliant. Now, I didn't expect this to be a very good movie. In fact, when the billboards were out, and their tag was "Where will you be THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW?" My internal response was "Probably not in the theatre." But I still wanted to see what a cock-up it actually was, and oh, for that, it was a masterpiece.

No comments: