Monday, May 29, 2006

Brew #1: Inaugurale

Mattox was over yesterday and helped me out with my first brew, Morebeer's Irish Red Ale Extract Kit 145. This was my first step into a larger and grander world yesterday, but it will be my last brew in this apartment. But with the move three months away, I'll still be drinking the fruits of my labor when I'm in the new place, which is the way it should be. I've just checked the fermenter, and the fermentation process appears to have started, so yay!

Have some details for those who are so inclined:
Date Brewed: 5/28/2006
Number of gallons in boil: 6
Estimated range for original gravity : 1.050-1.058
Original Gravity :1.043 (OK, it's my first brew, cut me some slack)
Number of gallons in fermenter: Approx. 4 (which is a guess)
Temperature of wort at pitching: Approx 80 degrees F (which is a guess... I need to get a thermometer)
Yeast: White Labs Pitchable Liquid Irish Ale Yeast
Quantity Pitched: 1 vial (approx 35 ml)
Lag time (between piching and onset of fermentation): About 10 hours
Suggested fermentation temperature: 63-72
Actual fermentation temperature: Room temp (significantly warmer)

No comments: