Monday, May 22, 2006

The Value of Friendship

Every now and then, you have one of those deep, fine powerful conversations that really make you understand why God created us to be in community, and wondering why we so very rarely "get it." I had one of those conversations last night sitting in the Hopleaf with Heidi and Mattox. One of those conversations where the gates are truly opened. It was wonderful. First off, the Hopleaf has spectacular food and even better beer. It's always a culinary adventure going there, but combine that with a great conversation, and that makes the week just that much better.

We were able to discuss the ultimate computer virus, repeat Monty Python's The Argument Clinic, complain about politics, discuss theology, talk about Italy, and, finally, pray. Now I'm used to praying with friends, but it's usually much more shallow and what-can-I-get focused. I think as a direct result of the depth of our conversation, we were able to pray for much deeper things, much more "real" prayers. That evening meant a lot to me. I feel more grounded, more in touch with myself, and more in touch with God. I feel more "full" for lack of a better term.

No comments: